21 March 2005

there's this stick being passed around

Jilly passed it to me:

1. You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

The Bone People by Keri Hulme. Cause I am.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Between the ages of ten and twenty, I had a crush on everyone in all the books in the world. I thought all their lives were what I wanted mine to be. I wanted to be Anna Karenina and Kitty. I wanted to be all the ruined women and all the ruinating men. I wanted to be Heathcliff. I guess having a crush on is not exactly like wanting to be, or is it?

3. The last book you read.

Deep Song and Other Prose by Federico Garcia Lorca.

4. What are you currently reading?

Gettysburg Review: Winter 2004, E. P. H. Jephcott's Proust & Rilke: The Literature of Expanded Consciousness, Helen Vendler's Soul Says, Federico Garcia Lorca's Collected Poems, Rainer Maria Rilke's Collected Poems, Wallace Stevens's Collected Poems, Wallace Stevens's The Necessary Angel,, and Segues, which is a poetry badminton match between William Stafford and Marvin Bell.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island:

I would have to kill myself because I could never choose. I'd take Proust and the largest anthology of poetry I could find but it would have to include all the poetry of Shakespeare, Rilke, Heaney, Bishop, Dickinson, Wright, Ashbery, Graham -- wait, isn't this a stupid question? Couldn't I take my laptop and my wireless Internet connection? I'd take the OED. The Secret Garden and the Narnia books. I'd take a pencil.

6. Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

I’m going to pass the stick on to Cliff Garstang, Myfanwy Collins, and Katrina Denza because they all have blogs and are responsible literati.

2 comments:

  1. wheee! fun. Hey, speaking of Lorca, did you read poetry daily today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in. I'll get right on it!

    ReplyDelete