25 December 2010

Octavio Paz

[from Octavio Paz's The Collected Poems of Octavio Paz: 1957-1987, Bilingual Edition, ed. Eliot Weinberger, tr. Eliot Weinberger, New Directions, 1990]

Motion

If you are the amber mare
              I am the road of blood
If you are the first snow
              I am he who lights the hearth of dawn
If you are the tower of night
              I am the spike burning in your mind
If you are the morning tide
              I am the first bird's cry
If you are the basket of oranges
              I am the knife of the sun
If you are the stone altar
              I am the sacrilegious hand
If you are the sleeping land
              I am the green cane
If you are the wind's leap
              I am the buried fire
If you are the water's mouth
              I am the mouth of moss
If you are the forest of the clouds
              I am the axe that parts it
If you are the profaned city
              I am the rain of consecration
If you are the yellow mountain
              I am the red arms of lichen
If you are the rising sun
              I am the road of blood

2 comments:

  1. if you are the gifted poet,
    i am the stuttering comic
    if you are the graceful hound
    i am the three legged hare
    if you are the soulful melody
    i am the mawkish tart
    if you are the baby's smile at dawn
    i am the rooting swine on your lawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know this poet. Thank you, it is beautiful. Zed, justnotliketheothers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete