28 June 2011

Paul Celan

[from Paul Celan's Poems of Paul Celan: Revised & Expanded, tr. Michael Hamburger, Persea, 2002]

Your Hair above the Sea

Your hair too hovers above the sea with the golden juniper.
Together with it turns white, but I dye it stone-blue:
that city's colour where last I was dragged to the south . . .

With ropes they bound me and knotted a sail to each one
and spat at me from their misty mouths and sang out:
"O come over the sea!"
But I as a dinghy painted my pinions purple
and wheezed a breeze for myself and before they slept sailed away.
Now it is red I should dye them, your locks, but I like them
      stone-blue:
O eyes of the city where, felled, I was dragged to the south:
With the golden juniper now your hair too hovers above the sea.


Dein Haar Überm Meer

Es schwebt auch dein Haar übern Meer mit dem goldnen Wacholder.
Mit ihm wird es weiss, dann färb ich es steinblue:
die Farbe der Stadt, wo zuletzt ich geschleift ward gen Süden . . .

Mit Tauen banden sie mich und knüpfen an jedes ein Segel
und spieen mich an aus nebligen Máulern und sangen:
"O komm übers Meer!"
Ich aber malt als ein Kahn die Schwingen mir purpurn
und röchelte selbst mir die Brise und stach, eh sie schliefen, in See.
Ich sollte sie rot dir nun fárben, die Locken, doch lieb ich sie
      steinblau:
O Augen der Stadt, wo ich stürzte und súdwarts geschleift ward!
Mit dem goldnen Wacholder schwebt auch dein Haar übern Meer.

Paul Celan

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog. I am adding it to my blog roll.
    You made my day.
    Cheers from Panama.-

    ReplyDelete