15 June 2009

Sarah Manguso

[from Sarah Manguso's Siste Viator, Four Way, 2006]

The Black Garden

The first thing I did was imagine a circle and get in it.
Outside the circle the world waited
With its dinner party and its hologram floor of moving stars.

*

Why is it called thus
The tourists asked the inhabitant.
Nothing grew or died there.
And they could not see where the circle ended and began.
I am the only one who can see it.
I am a lonely albino, I pour dark tea down my gullet
All day long just so they can see me.

*

Today I woke up, juggled, made a few notes,
And became symbolically suicidal.
My juggling-balls are shaped like stars.

*

Where are you if not outside the enclosure?
Only figments live inside.
I am colorless and cold. I am my own figment.

Buy Sarah Manguso's book @ Amazon

1 comment:

  1. i've been meaning to get the book :) amazing!

    ReplyDelete