15 April 2006

Louise Labé via Annie Finch

[from The Body of Poetry by Annie Finch]

Sonnet 18: Kiss Me Again
by Louise Labé
translated by Annie Finch

Kiss me again, rekiss me, and then kiss
me again, with your richest, most succulent
kiss; then adore me with another kiss, meant
to steam out fourfold the very hottest hiss
from my love-hot coals. Do I hear you moaning? This
is my plan to soothe you: ten more kisses, sent
just for your pleasure. Then, both sweetly bent
on love, we'll enter joy through doubleness,
and we'll each have two loving lives to tend:
one in our single self, one in our friend.
I'll tell you something honest now, my Love:
it's very bad for me to live apart.
There's no way I can have a happy heart
without some place outside myself to move.



1 comment:

  1. Nice poem. Thanks for the link.
    Hey, Nick Bruno has a list of fav
    books that is my taste to a tee.
    Don't see that often!

    Lordy I hate these word verification things. Is it just me or they impossible to decipher?

    ReplyDelete